It's detox time!
It was a fun but intense weekend for me so my body could use a detox moment. Well I am not really detoxing right now but I am grabbing healthy and low-fat dishes for the next few days. This is really one of those, very lean but also mega culinary! Raw Vietnamese spring rolls. I really like them sooooooo much. I filled them with prawns and vegetables right now, but of course you can vary this. You can also add glass noodles for extra filling and think of vegetables like bean sprouts, zucchini, carrot, kohlrabi, avocado etc etc.
Another tip: if you can get edible flowers somewhere, it's also really nice to put them on the bottom so you can see this through the sheet!
Recipe for 10 rolls, but you might make more with these ingredients, always have extra sheets in the house. Can keep for a very long time.
- 1 large carrot or 3 small carrots
- half red cabbage
- 30 peeled prawns
- handful of mint
- handful of coriander
- 10 rice skins
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 chilli
- 1 lime - the zest plus juice
- small piece of grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (not for the marinade)
As for the content sizes, don't take it all too literally, if you want to put in more prawns or just more vegetables, go ahead.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients (chop the pepper). Put half of the marinade in a separate bowl and put the prawns in it, leave it for a few hours. To the rest of the marinade add 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce and fresh cilantro and this is now the dressing.
- Wash the carrot and red cabbage and cut the into the thinnest possible sticks - or julienne. With the red cabbage this is very easy, with the carrot a little less but you can also use a mandolin here if you have one, super handy.
- Now briefly fry the prawns in a hot pan and let them cool.
- In a bowl, put some warm water (not boiling hot, but not lukewarm either). Prepare a plate and now take a rice sheet. Briefly put this in the water until it softens. Be careful, because if you put it in too long it is really unusable because then it will crack and get all sticky anyway. The first ones failed with me too, just persevere, eventually it works!
- Place on one-third of the sheet some vegetables, the prawns and some mint and cilantro. Now roll them up as tightly as possible, but do so with care. Put the short side of the sheet over the vegetables and try to roll the vegetables back a bit, then fold the sides and roll the whole roll. Sounds very complicated now maybe, but it really isn't. Maybe you have a different method that works for you. The nice thing is that at least the sheets stick well.
Leave a comment